A dental filling is a procedure done to restore the function, integrity, and morphology of the missing tooth structure resulting from caries or external trauma.
It can also make cosmetic improvements to your smile by changing your teeth’ color and/or shape.
At Casa Dental, we use tooth color, also known as composite dental materials for your filling. This treatment can be done in a single office visit.
Some of the advantages of composite fillings:
- Aesthetics: Composite fillings are designed to match the color of your natural teeth, making them virtually invisible. This ensures a more natural appearance, especially for fillings in visible areas of the mouth. It is an ideal option for those who prioritize cosmetic appeal.
- Preservation of tooth structure: Composite fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to amalgam fillings. The material bonds directly to the tooth, allowing dentists to conserve more of your natural tooth during the filling process. This helps to maintain the strength and integrity of the tooth.
- Versatility: Composite fillings can be used to repair both front and back teeth. They are suitable for filling small to moderate-sized cavities, as well as for fixing chipped, cracked, or worn teeth. Dentists can also use composite resin to reshape or recontour teeth, improving their appearance and function.
- Bonding ability: Composite fillings chemically bond to the tooth structure. This bonding creates a strong seal, providing additional support to the tooth and preventing leakage or further decay. The bond also helps to strengthen the remaining tooth structure, reducing the risk of fractures.
- Reduced sensitivity: Composite fillings are less prone to temperature-related sensitivity compared to metal amalgam fillings. They do not expand or contract with temperature changes, minimizing the discomfort that some individuals may experience when consuming hot or cold food and beverages.
- Quick and convenient placement: The material is applied in layers and hardened using a special light, allowing for immediate use of the restored tooth.
- Biocompatibility: Composite fillings are considered safe and biocompatible. The material is made of a mixture of tooth-colored plastic resin and finely ground glass particles. It does not contain mercury, which is present in metal amalgam fillings and can be a concern for some patients.
Call our Mississauga (905-272-1634) or Toronto (416-923-3312) dental clinic to schedule an appointment.